Montepaolo is located to the south of Bari, within “Parco dei Laghi”, a protected natural area where lakes used to be, leaving interesting flora and fauna.
The masseria is in a very convenient location just 40 minutes from the Bari international airport and 50 minutes from the Brindisi international airport.
Also close are famous destinations such as:
• Conversano (3 km) designated a “Città d’Arte” (Artistic Town) with its mediaeval castle, numerous historic churches and winding alleys of shops and restaurants; – Polignano (9 km) a breathtaking coastal town;
• Castellana Grotte (10 km) with its marvelous caves;
• Capitolo (20 km) with its beautiful beaches and crystal clear water;
• Putignano (14 km) an historical town with the annual world famous Carnival festival held the seventh week prior to Easter;
• Alberobello (25 km) a Unesco site, famous for the amazing Trulli architecture;
• Bari (35 km) capital of Puglia, with a lovely mediaeval historic center where the Basilica of Saint Nicholas is located;
• Martina Franca (45 km) a fascinating Baroque architecture town hosting the annual Opera Fest, “Festival della Valle d’Itria” in July and August;
• Ostuni (55 km) “Citta Bianca” a beautiful whitewashed historic town perched on a hill overlooking the sea;
• Matera (65 km) “Citta dei Sassi”, a Unesco site and designated European Capital of Culture for 2019;
• Torre Guaceto (70 km) a National Marine Reservation with beaches and wildlife;
• Trani (80 km) an elegant city with its unique 12th Century Cathedral overlooking the sea;
• Castel del Monte (85km) a spectacular and imposing octagonal 13th Century castle built for Frederik II;
• Lecce (125 km) known for its extraordinary baroque architecture;
• Melpignano (155) with its annual folk dance Pizzica festival called “Notte della Taranta”;
• Otranto (175 km), a historic seaside stronghold with a castle and a Duomo.
There are ten rooms in Montepaolo’s main building, located on either the second or third floor, reached by stairs. The rooms are comprised of a variety of layouts, sleeping either two, three or four guests. Each room is named after a sign of the zodiac. All rooms are very comfortable, providing tranquility and repose in a refined and welcoming environment.
Montepaolo also has two Junior Suites which are 1-bedroom lofts with a kitchen, as well as two 2-bedroom apartments in the 14th century tower called La Torre del Brigante.
The second floor has three spacious, light-filled rooms, each with a balcony. These were the family bedrooms when the house was a private residence of the current owner and they still have the floors and antiques dating back to the 19th century. The amenities for these rooms are wi-fi, heating, tv, telephone, mini-fridge, ceiling fan, security box, hair dryer.
The other seven rooms are located in the charming renovated attic on the third floor, each with windows overlooking the surrounding countryside or landscaped grounds and decorated in the Provencal style. The amenities for these rooms are wi-fi, heating/air conditioning, tv, telephone, mini-fridge, ceiling fan, security box, hair dryer.
For guests staying in the main building, included is a fresh breakfast buffet provided on the first (ground) floor.
For the meals in the retreat, it will be served based on the concept of kilometer 0.
Meals are prepared using primarily Montepaolo produce, olive oil, fruit, vegetables and spices as per the Mediterranean diet and seasonal availability. Only local, traditional Puglia recipes are used, customized by the owner’s own creativity. For breakfast you can enjoy homemade jam, cookies, pies, fresh fruit from the grounds and harvested the same morning, traditional Italian coffee, cappuccino, tea, yogurt, juice, toast, cereal and croissants.
A sample of lunch and dinner menu dishes are: the traditional black wheat focaccia, fried bites, fried calzones (panzerotti), fried pancake (frittelle), meatballs, fried garden vegetables, broccoli rape pasta, black wheat pasta with dry ricotta cheese, bean and chicory cream (fave e cicorie), legumes soups, parmigiana, vegetable quiche, baked pasta, chicken stew, roasted beef, roasted orange pork, sage beef, provolone veal. There are also fresh dairy specialties such as mozzarella, ricotta and caciocavallo cheese made locally each day by a Conversano creamery.
The nearest village is 3 km so if you don’t have a car, we suggest the half board option that anyway it is possible to decide on site.
In the ayurveda and yoga retreat there is not fried food (eccept if you want to try something typical like panzerotti etc), there are lot of vegetables and legumes, From the moment that most of the people like to try the traditiona apulian dishes which are good and tasty, we are not using any spices like in the centre in india but according with ayurveda we serve local and healthy meals.
We can offer vegeterian, vegan and gluten free meals.